Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, February 05, 2010

Call Me Fussy If You Want To, But don't Call Me Late For Dinner

On the eve of making my first batch of bacon/carmel brownies as well as taking in a meal at the "new" (to me) Southern food restaurant, I guess food has been foremost in my head lately. The visual got another jolt this morning in a totally unexpected way.
All the "older" adults work out at the school's fitness center between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. (at which time they might go to a fast food place and drink coffee...I go to work). Anyway, as I was leaving, I overheard one person wax rapturously about the liver and onions he had eaten the previous night at the Moose Lodge in town. "It was so tender, I could hardly believe it," I hear him gush. I had to laugh, almost out loud. I had seen the sign on the building which trumpeted a weekly liver and onions special but just assumed nobody went. Turns out, I was wrong. And the person next to whom I was walking out remarked that the meal was remarkably cheap as well! Now, I was a bit more interested...after all, being on a fixed income, I need to watch my money. But then, I reconsidered.
After all, I can have liver at home. So then, I began to think about other foods I would never order at a restaurant because I could make them as easily at home. Think about it...when you go out, there are just certain items that you would NEVER order...not because you didn't like them, but because they were the kind of thing you could make as well by yourself. Here's my list. Feel free to add your own to it.

1. Liver and onions. I remember eating a lot of this as a kid, and I still like it, bit it seems silly to play somebody to prepare something like this that I could do myself and have it taste just as good. Besides, I try to limit my intake of organ meats.

2. Meatloaf. I don't care if it IS "Grandma's Meatloaf," I can make it myself with no trouble, and not pay $7.95 for it, either. besides, most places don't put that tomato sauce on top that I like.

3. Mac and cheese. Nope, no way. Put all the fresh ingredients in it you want and add four different kinds of cheeses, but I'm getting mine from the Kraft box.

4. Mashed Potatoes. OK, I'll budge a bit here. If they're something special like garlic mashed potatoes, I'll order them every now and then, but to pay for something as cheaply and easily rendered as spuds...nope. Fires of any kind? yes, because I don't have a deep fryer, and every time I try to fry something like this in oil, I get splattered.

5. Cooked vegetables of the corn or bean variety. They are always too mushy, and I HATE that. Now, Onion Blossoms are another story as well. Onions might be my favorite vegetable, and there's the deep frying thing again.

And since I'm looking forward to sweet potato pie tonight, I must add as something of a postscript that I will try unusual things at least once, provided they are not made from the intestines of some animal.
And then...the brownies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home