Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Pickles, Sure, But the Internet?

Just a followup on the chocolate bacon thing before I begin: it was a huge hit in the neighborhood. So there. And bacon is supposedly one of the "good" foods, I hear because most of the fats are monosaturated...or something. That's just what Jennifer told me, anyway.
When it comes to food, I know some very picky eaters: people who eat only the chocolate from the E.L. Fudge cookies; people who scrounge for leftovers in the garbage receptacle at home; people who won't eat fruit, consuming it only as a juice; people who won't eat bacon unless it is crunchy; and people who will eat bread only if it is toasted with the crusts cut off (I mean, what's the point of cutting crunchy parts off of crunchy bread?). There are, of course, people who will eat just about anything (think Mikey from the Life cereal commercials...and me, if you don't count mushy vegetables). There are people who won't eat from sunup to sundown for a month in a religious observance, and there are people who won't eat anything from a cloven-hoofed animal...rendering (in a manner of speaking)bacon out of the question. The ultra-orthodox religious people of the Jewish faith will not eat anything that hasn't been prepared under the watchful eye of a rabbi to make certain that there's NOTHING in the same building in which the food is being prepared that is unacceptable. Now THOSE people are fussy easter! "Kosher," it's called, and it's all about preparing food according to strict guidelines. OK, I get it, and I somewhat admire their diligence (though leaving bacon out eliminates me from becoming the next Sammy Davis, Jr.). And, lest you think otherwise, these strict rules apply to things other than food; they also apply to things that an orthodox person would not have in the home...like a television. This is where "Koogle" comes in.
It seems that there is a search engine now that is aimed at just such orthodox Hebrew people. It's called "Koogle" and is named to resemble not only the "Google" with which the world is familiar, but also the Jewish noodle pudding called "Kugel." "Noodle pudding," I thought...could be OK. The recipe is included later.
Anyway, searching Koogle for information limits the searcher to just those things not forbidden by orthodox beliefs. That means things like sexual content are unavailable as well as pictures and depictions of women or anyone else considered as unacceptable. Jewish searchers cannot buy a television online from this site though I did notice ads for some well-known electronic brands, cars and credit cards. In addition, one cannot post ANYTHING on the Jewish Sabbath...the site simply refuses to allow it: rather cool, in a way...no more Jon & Kate Make 8 or whatever that is.
If you're curious, as I was, you can go to www.koogle.co.il and explore. Of course, the drawback I had when I got there was that the writing is all in Hebrew. This brought me back to David, one of my students who is a soccer player from Israel: his computer keyboard has all these characters that I cannot figure out. I suppose if I'd been better at touch typing instead of looking-at-the-keyboard typing, I could use it. Anyway, here's the recepie for Kugel. Surprise your Jewish friends (or me)and have them (or me) over for a tasty repast. No bacon, though, unless I'm coming.
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/non-regional/jewish/00/rec0060.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home