Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Pig Lickers, Part Deux

Every now and then, something catches my attention and holds on like a tick hound on a raccoon. I mean it...I just can't get this out of my head...though, granted that there's a lot of room for various ideas to hide in there. And, as is often the case, this one relates to the latest food item craze...and it concerns bacon...again. I've begun making plans for the hog days of summer which include August 6-16, and the Wisconsin State Fair.
Now, as long as I've lived here, I've never had the hankerin' (to quote Sarah You-Know-Who) to go to the state fair. I hate crowds, the rides all make me dizzy until I throw up, and most of the musical acts are far too recent for me to enjoy. Nonetheless, when bacon is a'bakin' on the midway...
Our state fair is noted for two things that might be considered a bit unusual: cream puffs and food on a stick. In fact, this year's menu from vendors includes more than 40 items one could purchase that are perched on a stick. From the obvious: lollipops and caramel apples to the not-so-obvious: fried peanut butter and jelly, deep fried oreos and chilled cookie dough. There are also some that are downright head scratchers like cherry pie on a stick, macaroni and cheese on a stick, reubens on a stick and something mysterious (to me, anyway): cow pops. Being it is the state fair, I thought the writer had misspelled "cow poops" (hey, nothing would surprise me!) but maybe not. But the topper, and the reason I'm going to go to the fair this year is...chocolate-covered bacon on a stick!I can hear the guffaws even from here, but I honestly think it could be good!
Of course, Wisconsin is not the first place this delightful delectable has been delivered. That would be at the Famous Dave's stand last year at the Minnesota State Fair. That concoction, called Pig Lickers, also featured a sprinkling of sea salt as well. Just try to imagine those three flavors on your tongue. Interesting, isn't it? Almost like the jalapeno lemonade I got from Crate and Barrel last week: sweet on the tip of my tongue and slightly spicy in my throat: definitely a taste sensation. But back to pig lickers.
Just in case you are unable to make it to the Wisconsin State Fair this summer (although a much better family outing than seeing the world's largest muskie or a statue of Paul Bunyan) I have, through devious methods, found the recipe whereby you can make your own bacon on a stick liberally coated with chocolate.
Try it. You know you want to.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/47306977.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home