Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Of Tiny Teddies and Vo-Vos

Every so often, I get this feeling that I have been living in a vacuum...or at the very least, a cave in far off Borneo with only a volleyball for a companion (OK, so the volleyball thing was in a movie: sue me!) One of the reasons I read so many newspapers is that I don't want ot be surprised by something like the end of the world in 2012 or being totally swallowed up by the floating plastic melange is the western Pacific Ocean that's four times the size of France. Really, look it up! If swine flu is headed my way, I want to know as well, so seeing "Tiny Teddies" in an article made me think there was something I'd missed out on. "Hmmm, maybe that's what I've been missing...on the bright side, Mother's Day IS coming up!" Unfortunately, it was nothing like I'd imagined. In fact, it brought up yet another painful memory I'd hoped to obliterate.
Tiny Teddies, it seems, are little Australian "biscuits" (really more like graham crackers) in the shape of, you guessed it, teddy bears. As if that weren't enough, I had to find out about Vo-Vos which completely ruined my evening by dredging up the memory of the sorrowful day that Krispy Kreme left Green Bay, only to be replaced by Panera Bread.
See, I LOVED Krispy Kreme. I ate there every time the "hot" sign was lighted as I was driving by, sometimes, taking the free one and pretending to look over the selection until another customer came up and I could make a hasty exit, wiping frosting off my guilty chin. It was my birthday treat, my Father's Day outing, my Take Your Kid To Work Day lunch break...you get the idea. I have an artist's rendition of a Krispy Kreme doughnut hanging on my wall right in front of me, thanks to friends would would graciously feed my addiciton on occasion. "So," I hear you asking, "what does this have to do with Tiny Teddies or Vo-Vos?" Good question.
It seems that KK somewhere other than here is promoting Australian theme week/month/whatever, and they are producing a doughnut named the "Iced Dough-Vo" which is filled with raspberry jam and topped with pink frosting and coconut: perhaps my four all-time favorite things! (you have to count the doughnut). Well, Arnott's, an Australian cookie/"biscuit" maker, is threatening legal action because it says the copyright from 1906 on their product is being infringed upon by the KK product...in spite of the fact that the Vo-Vo: "beloved by Australians for generations" is a BISCUIT! It's flat like, say, an E.L. Fudge cookie before the fudge is placed between the two halves (or, in Patty's case, AFTER the fudge has been licked off!) This "biscuit" is covered with STRAWBERRY jam,something called "fondant" which is some kind of frosting, I guess (recipe included later) and topped with coconut.
OK...pink confection and coconut=SAME; raspberry and strawberry= NOT SAME; biscuit and doughnut=What? Are you blind?
Anyway, after the disappointment of the Tiny Teddy discovery and the castigation of my unreachable goal, the depression is just too much. I'm going to go to bed, cover my head with a sheet, and cry myself to sleep...dreaming, no doubt, of pink doughnuts with tiny teddies on.
It's not easy being me.
How to make fondant.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home