Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bamboozled

I have to admit to being something of a pack rat. If there's an ounce of usefulness in something, I usually keep it around until it disintegrates. My family will tell you that's why I dress like I do and listen to the music that I do...I mean, those 8-track tapes are still good, and my reel-to-reel deck works just fine. Of course, it IS a bit harder to carry around than my iPod shuffle, but...still.
I'm sure we're still using things we got as wedding or shower gifts almost 40 years ago, like the fondue pot and some of the towels we have in the bathroom (not the guest bathroom, though, if you're planning to visit). I got tired recently of drying off in towels that were so threadbare that they got soaked in the first few seconds, focing me to use three towels to get dry. Of course, after I figured out that turning the shower off before beginning the drying process made it a bit less bothersome. Anyway, I decided that I was going to be assertive on the matter and get a couple of new bath towels.
Since we seldom use the dryer but prefer hanging stuff to dry, our towels never really get that soft, Downy fluffiness. That's why bamboo appealed to me. I discovered that towels made mostly of bamboo were supposed to be the softest EVER and retained that softness no matter how many times they were used and washed and used and washed... So, I kept an eye out for a sale since there was no real reason to pay $25 for a towel even if it WAS super soft. Heck, that's what hotels are for!
I managed to spot a sale and picked up a couple of really luxurious bamboo towels. In addition to the softness, they are considered to be eco-friendly to a high degree, and I'm all about being "green."
On first use (it was winter), the towel seemed to push the water around instead of absorbing it: a chilly feeling. But then, ALL towels do that when they are new, so I figured a couple of washings would take that aspect of it right out. Since I shower at school after working out most days, I really haven't had an opportunity to check out the towels recently. I noticed that my sweetie uses them, and she doesn't complain. All the age-old towels are sitting in the towel box, and she continues to use the bamboo ones.
Today, however, I finished lawn work and needed a shower. I grabbed the bamboo towel to dry off, and it was VERY soft. I halfway expected it to shred like tissue due to the softness. But NO! It remained soft and in one piece...I anticipated a comforting brush of environmentally friendly bamboo gently caressing the water from my body... but I still got the same feeling that it was pushing water around instead of absorbing it...very disconcerting. I hate that feeling. Since it was warm, it wasn't too bad, but I like to feel toasty while drying off, not mildly chilly. As a result, being eco-friendly didn't feel so friendly anymore.
Perhaps I should have bought the full-price ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home