Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm Not Telling Him!

"Come on...tell the truth...you KNOW you'll feel better if you do." That was the way my sweetie used to cajole our kids into fessing up to whatever horrible crime they'd committed, like bleaching the dog's fur or spilling juice on the carpet. Invariably, they would cave in because she'd just badger them (being in Wisconsin, after all) until they did. I was duly entertained watching them squirm before the baleful eye and unflinching determination to uncover the truth...I mean, as long as it wasn't ME she was directing that gaze at! I was never good at it, and, as a result, "Not me" is still being held responsible for the dent in the garage door; and I didn't even know "Not me" could drive. He/she was always ghostlike in the comic strips. But I digress: this is all about delivering some bad news with regard to Jackie Chan.
It seems that Chan, a Chinese national raised in Hong Kong (I think) noted the other day that he didn't think freedom and the Chinese people were good for each other. "I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not. If we're not controlled, we'll just do what we want," he is purported to have said. Of course, that caused as much stir in the Asian community as a story might have about a South American bishop who fathered three kids...oh yeah, that DID happen though only recently brought to light by the BBC.
Chan is also said to have indicated that the societies of Hong Kong and Taiwan (both previously part of China) were "chaotic" as a result of the freedom they enjoyed. No sooner than one could say "Ship him to North Korea to see how he likes THAT," than such a group was in evidence on, you guessed it, Facebook, as more than 2,600 people thought to suggest that very course of action! North Korea, indeed!
Chan, of course, claims to have been misquoted, indicating that he was discussing the film industry and NOT society in general. RIIIIGGGHHT!
Anyway, the thought of being able to do whatever one wanted is an intriguing one; for example, the Chinese would be free to spit in public, though they can be arrested for it at this point. They would be able to litter, which is also currently prohibited. Chines children would also be permitted the educational opportunity of watching SpongeBob SquarePants and Japanese manga cartoons which are currently forbidden.
And Jackie Chan would not have to go to North Korea.
Besides, who would dare to tell him? I know he's fallen a bit with Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon, but, seriously, he could still kick all our butts. Whatever he wants to say, he can say for my money.
After all, I can still do whatever I want...as long as it doesn't result in "Come on...tell the truth...you KNOW you'll feel better."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home