Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's Not Enough That It's Raining...



Today promises to be the absolute worst day in, well, a couple of days. The euphoria reached a couple of days ago when I got to lecture to two college classes has ebbed, the Yankees lost in extras to Boston last night, it's a Saturday and raining hard here in Titletown, and now I find out that eating crap at fast food places is bad for me!
I suspect I knew it all along, but just HOW bad the potential heart-stopping foods were, I'd chosen to push back out of working memory. I knew that each Krispy Kreme was 200 calories, but I never ate more than 10 or so at a time and rarely ate more than three or four times a day on the days when I knew I was going to gorge myself later. So, when the "Eat This, Not That" website promised to tell me how to eat better, I figured I'd sneak a peek...bad move. While most of the things I eat when I'm fast-fooding it are relatively benign, comparing the worst "drive-thru" (their spelling, NOT mine) meal to Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts was hitting below the belt (which, at this point, I can still see: I checked) Here are some of the high (or low, depending) lights of the list. As always, there's a website URL below so you can ruin YOUR whole day, too!

1. Worst fast food shake: McDonald's triple-thick chocolate shake featuring 1160 calories. Supposedly, two quarter pounders would be mnore healthy for me. As it is, A&W is offering root beer floats for $.99 so there's no chance I'm going for this one.

2. Worst "value-menu" item: Burger King Spicy Chicken Crisp Sandwich, weighing in with 30 grams of fat, 450 calories and 810 milligrams of sodium.
Even at $.99, this is no bargain. I usually eat from the $.99 menu, too!

3. Worst Mexican entree: Taco Bell's Grilled Stuft Beef Burrito: dumping a whopping 2120 milligrams of sodium down my gullet in addition to 680 calories. Fine, but I wouldn't eat this anyway...if a restaurant cannot spell "stuffed" correctly, I'm not eating it.

4. If breakfast is your chosen eat-out meal, skip biscuits entirely. Anything made with biscuits is a killer. Scrambled eggs? I can make those at home. I suppose that means biscuits and gravy at Big Boy is on the no-no list, too. The South is going to fall again!

And finally, (drum roll) AMERICA'S WORST DRIVE THROUGH MEAL: comes in the form of Carl's Jr. Double $6 Burger meal which also comes with medium fries and a 32 oz. drink. That doesn't sound just too horrible, does it? I mean, it's not a Caesar salad with dressing (on the side, of course), but I've eaten stuff like this before. Anyway, here are the details:
This meal has
a salt combination equal to 7 1/2 servings of large fries at McDonald's (2892 mg.)
a saturated fat component equal to 52 strips of bacon (mmmm, bacon!)
449 grams of fat, of which 51.5 grams are saturated
2618 calories (just a few more than a week's worth for senior citizens like myself)
AND...
The caloric output (well, input, really) of 13 KRISPY KREME GLAZED DOUGHNUTS. Ouch! That hurts.
And it's not even the Dough-Vo donuts, either.
My day is ruined. Back to the tofu for me.


http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/30464/the-worst-drive-thru-foods-in-america-and-what-to-eat-instead

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home