Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Bored: Looking Ahead

"Now that 90% of your work load is gone, I'll expect a 90% reduction in your salary." This from Rudy, the strength and conditioning coach at UWGB today. Semester break has obviously given him time to think about things other than punishing people on the Versa-Climber (7 minutes is my personal best). Truth be told, I've had a bit too much time to think lately as well. Having a four-week break between semesters is MUCH too long...I'm feeling stale. True, I have been working with a student who is preparing an essay for a graduate school application, but the days seem far too full of empty space, and three drafts is not complicated when there is nothing else pressing. Having worked at intense education for an average of 40 hours per week for the last semester, the hiatus gets a bit maddening. Since my project of last semester has left school for other pursuits in spite of a 3.165 G.P.A., it looked for a while like I could rest on my laurels for the upcoming term (it's a lot of pressure to walk on water and change F's into C's all the time).
"Since I worked twice as many hours as they paid me for last semester, I thought I'd just hang out here, get some exercise and look for snacks in the staff lounge," was my reply. And, of course, there's ESPN on the big-screen TV in the reception area of the athletics department. Sure beats scraping ice off the driveway as I've been doing every day since my return from Miami and bemoaning the fact that my snow sculptures for the year are fast fading into Frosty's Oblivion.
The dream of a relaxing semester sounded good, and it was...too good. I have inherited an athlete who sported a .94 GPA last semester (passing only the writing class with which I helped a bit). A message on my phone apprised me of another coach who has two, possibly three athletes in need on my brand of "personal involvement" tutoring. Whew! for a bit I was worried about being outsourced to Sylvan Learning Center, but it looks like I should merely enjoy the freedom to get up at 8, working out on my schedule and planning the cooking, cleaning and washing schedule here at home while I can. Goodness knows the pace will be frenetic soon enough.
But not so soon that I can't begin planning for Spring Break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home