Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Do You Feel Lucky, Punk? Well, Do You?

I have to admit that I don't feel so lucky...yet. I mean, today was the end of the line for Brett Favre here in Green Bay, my right knee hurts like hell, and I have not caught another rabbit in days. However, I do believe that's about to change. All I have to do is be Cantonese, or pretend to be one, or stand next to one...or eat off the good china...or something. And I have only two more hours to get all of that done because it is almost 08/08/08: considered to be the absolute luckiest day in China (where the Olympics will start on that day, despite the soccer games already being underway).
This is a bit convoluted, but let's see if I can explain it. In Cantonese, the word "fah" means "eight" but it also sounds exactly like the word which means "make a lot of fortune." The Cantonese people (most likely the Tong) excelled at making money, hence the connection. I know, I know...you're thinking that in China, the national language is Mandarin, and you're right. However, the Chinese know a good (or lucky) thing when they see one so they have exploited this thing for all it is worth. Nouveau-riche in China will pay big bucks to make certain that their telephone number has a large number of 8's in it, or their address. Just imagine the billions that are going to buy a lottery ticket or take the ultimate chance and get married on August 8th.
Since Beijing is 13 hours ahead of us here in Green Bay, I don't think the lucky part has gotten to me yet. However, I will be flying on an airplane twice tomorrow so I hope the luck gets here by then.
This might also solve forever the question concerning whether it is better to be lucky or good? The Olympics should tell us.
Bon Chance!
BTW: props to Coach Dan Lukes and the DePere American Legion baseball team for winning the state championship this week. Definitely some "good" and some "luck." I'm still waiting for something quoteworthy from Venci.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home