Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Glad To Be Anonymous

"You probably don't know me..." began the old American Express commercial which featured a realtively famous person looking nondescript. As the American Express card flashed, and the famous person's name was revealed, I was always somewhat amazed that such a famous person could be so...well...ordinary looking. All that has changed, however, and probably not for the better. Our complete and total fascination with famous people has contributed to a serious decline in respect for others and even in the general manners of our young people. (now I sound like one of those geezers who call the police about kids riding bikes on "his" sidewalk!)
Paparazzi stalk public figures all the time, and their exploits are well-publicized: from Princess Diana to Britney's ...well, you know... to Brangelina's twins to Halle Berry's new daughter, (and spare me the beach pictures showing who's got a lot of cellulite these days!) camera people feel that they have no boundaries and that fascinating people have no right to privacy. Of course, if you've seen "Monster's Ball," it's hard to imagine Halle Berry EVER having a private moment. But it's the effect on the younger generations that concerns me.
I was walking toward the employees' entrance to Lambeau yesterday as the players were arriving for their first day of meetings prior to training camp opening. The players' parking lot is a fenced-in enclosure which has an electronic gate designed to let them in and keep others out. As Charles Woodson was activating the gate, a young boy, about 10 or so, followed by his father (I presume), ran up and shouted, "Hey, Woodson, would you sign?" as he thrust a football toward the window. His tone suggested that it was not a request but an order and that Charles Woodson had a responsibility to give an autograph. There was no "please" nor was there a "Mr." attached...just a demand. The fact that the kid's father was there really irritated me, but I figured a fracas involving a Packers' employee wouldn't look so good, and God knows there have been enough news reports out of 1265 Lombardi, so I merely walked on to work. Still, would even a semblance of good manners hurt? Sure, these folks make a lot more money than I'll ever see, but treating people well has always proven to be more effective than putting them off.
Though it hardly mattered, I refused to sign for the people waiting outside for the players to leave that afternoon...not that they asked, but I thought I should clear it up before anyone got pushy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home