Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Love Shack Demystified

Granted, I have a lot of time on my hands occasionally. Granted, too, that I generally fill it with deep, philosophical thoughts. Sometimes, there is an answer...like "Because," and sometimes the query continues to float around just waiting for a moment of elucidation. Such a moment happened yesterday, and a long-wondered-about item was finally laid to rest. It's not like I couldn't have figured it out before. It's just that every time the question arose, I was in a place or situation which made clarification impossible. By the time I WAS in a place of possible clarification, the idea had wandered back into the subconscious to be replaced by something more important like "Did I change underwear today?"
So there I was: driving back from Manitowoc and groovin' to an 80s mix that I had in the car. The B-52s "Love Shack" blasted from the speakers, awakening my wife who had peacefully dozed off moments earlier when I had "Afternoon Symphony" from Public Radio wafting softly through the interior. She was not amused by my pounding on the dashboard singing, "Bang, bang, on the door baby. Knock a little louder, sugar." The fact that I am an excellent driver under a variety of driving conditions made no difference to her. Just as she began to say "Shut that crap off or..." it hit me. There were these mysterious lyrics coming up which I could never decipher. You know which ones I'm talking about: right toward the end after repeating the "Bang, bang on the door" part, there's this chick's voice saying, "You're What?" followed by two lines which I could never understand. It always sounded like "Candoof! Lusted!" to me, but I knew that probably wasn't right.
Having nothing better to do at the time, I replayed it a couple of times and STILL couldn't get what she was saying. Since the last time coincided with my careening into the driveway, the mystery was still at the forefront of my brain as I hit the computer for Lyrics.com. Moments later, there it was in front of me in black and white: "Tin roof? Rusted" was what I'd been hearing for years. Go ahead, crank it up, and you'll see that's what she's saying. Does it make sense? Doesn't have to because it's rock 'n' roll.
Now I've got to find something else about which to peruse in my deep, philosophical moments.
Maybe the words to "Louie, Louie."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home