Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Temptation in the 21st Century

Does the forbidden actually become more desirable? Hard to say. That's the basis for the recent statement by Andrei Kirilenko's wife Masha when she told him that he could, uh, stray from his marriage once a year. (Trust me, EVERYBODY is talking about this around the water cooler this week!) In case you have no idea who the principles in the story are, he's a professional basketball player for the Utah Jazz, and she is his wife who understands the temptations of superstars on the road and the lengths to which floozies will go to get a piece (figuratively) of a major entertainment figure. "Baseball Annies" they're called in the world of baseball. "Truckstop Judys" in the world of long-haul truckers; simply "Groupies" in the rock and roll venues. (As far as I know, there are no such people gathered 'round for members of the teaching profession.)
I know that car theft is forbidden, but that doesn't make me want to do it. Come to think of it, however, diet restrictions DO make me want to get around them for secret pleasures; diet restrictions are hardly the equal to Kirilenko's problem, though.
Maybe this just proves how unreal the lives of the rich and famous are in comparison to our own. I know for a fact that my sweetie would not think this is such a good idea...I know because I asked her as part of an unscientific poll. Her response was, uh, unprintable. Of course, then she asked MY opinion which was totally unfair, I thought. What is acceptable for stars is decidedly unacceptable for mere mortals on any level.
At any rate, I wonder if all of this has occurred as a result of his playing home games in Utah? For the record, he says he doesn't plan to investigate the possibility. Who says sports heroes have no morals?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home