Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Reframing: An Exercise in Mental Health

Jim Stingl, a columnist for the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel, wrote an interesting column recently in which he listed all the people he's happy NOT to be. In spite of his sometimes less-than-stimulating life, at least he's not the guy who recently got inebriated and killed seven kids in a wreck and is facing heavy-duty prison time; nor is he the person who smoked crack with her daughter just to show the girl the evils of dope. (These are real, live people in the news, mind you) You get the point. Stingl listed a host of people he was happy not to be.
I have my own list of people that I'm happy not to be even though life as a high school teacher gets mundane sometimes.

I am happy not to be the acting (or soon to be elected) Prime Minister of Israel. Imagine having Hamas in charge nearby! (and word is they're NOT going to bring cookies over, either)

I am happy not to be Pete Rose. In spite of a hairstyle that is so easy to maintain and fabulous athletic ability, Pete will never get into Cooperstown unless he's driving or in a bus. The Hall of Fame will require him to pay admission to walk through and see EVERYBODY ELSE'S memorabilia.

I would not want to be Condoleza Rice. Who'd want a nickname that sounds like a housing development? (Not to mention having to support some rather dumb ideas!)

I am glad not to be the mayor of New Orleans. In addition to having my every statement repeated on the late-night monologues, it would be hell facing the immediate future with the feds long gone (once the photo-ops were history) and a population which demands answers.

I am happy not to be a snowmobile salesman in Green Bay these days. I am also happy not to be the owner of forged Brett Favre memorabilia as so many others seem to be lately.

I am definitely happy not to be those who were recently discovered to have stolen millions from money supposed to be used to reconstruct Iraq. Contractors, military people and others who were supposed to be helping were, instead, helping themselves. Things will be a tad bit uncomfortable for them, I would suspect.

Even on days when my job seems crappy, I am happy not to be the person who has to empty the toilets on airplanes.

I am happy not to be myself at 13 again. I didn't enjoy it then, and I would enjoy it less now.

So, if you need a boost on the cloudy, dreary days of February, reframe the situation as Stingl and I have. Imagine all the things you have because you're NOT so many others.
If you wake up breathing, it's going to be a good day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home