Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, December 16, 2005

The Best Gifts(?), Kid Division

It's a plot. I really think so...sneaky, underhanded and downright nefarious. No, it's not the addictive stuff said to be put in fast food offerings; it's not even the addictive stuff put into cigarettes and marketed to kids (even though manufacturers claim otherwise); it's not even those guys like "Bob" on TV who try to convince me that I have some major malfunction that could be fixed by ingesting their little blue pill, which, I suspect, might be addictive as well if the results are as promised. No, I'm talking about fiendish plans made and carried out every year by Mattel and Ed DeBartolo and others like him. Christmas toy fever is at its highest pitch because we can't seem to find certain "gotta have it" toys again. I'm sure you get the Mattel reference, but DeBartolo? He's the guy who used to own the 49ers (and maybe still does, but since they are so terrible this year nobody cares). He made his money in shopping mall development so he gets included.
According to the Washington Post (so you know I'm not making this up) one of the hot games this year that is hard to find is called Mall Madness. I'm guessing it's marketed to the preteen female market to make certain they understand that their role is to be shopaholics as they grow up. Older kids already know about this: a young lady from school was going to the mall singing with the chorus today--bemoaning the fact that she had ONLY one hour to shop before they had to return to school. Heck, she couldn't get through PacSun in an hour!
Another hot toy is called ChatNow two-way communication devices. Verizon or Virgin Mobile wants those 5-yr.olds to be using the phone as an ear extension long before they can actually purchase one. Of course, that demographic may already HAVE phones for all I know. Keeping up with the crew from daycare requires technology. I know my grandson who will be five in two weeks already has a play phone which "takes" pictures...a ready-made consumer if ever there was one.
Amazing Amanda the interactive doll had better be amazing for the price they're asking...but, again, marketed to a specific population. I could be wrong (and often am according to the latest emails), but I'll bet Amanda doesn't calculate math facts or throw a ball or read a book.
Playschool has a highly-rated game for teaching coordination and counting skills to kids 3 and up: skee ball. It is actually difficult to master the rolling skill as my wife and son will attest, and the competition gets heated, at least between them. Little kids can enjoy it as well as gain motor skills and counting skills when the adults finally let the kids give it a go.
Tinkertoys? Lincoln Logs? Imaginative toys in general? Keep looking...they'll all be on the clearance racks in January.
Me? I'd like the same as always...peace on earth...and the diamond-studded howdah from Neiman-Marcus for my camel as I play a wise guy for Christmas again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home