Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The Truth Is In Short Supply

Cole Hamels Is NOT A Politician An unusual thing happened this week...no, an extraordinary thing happened this week. It involved someone, out of the blue, telling the truth about less-than-acceptable intentions with the knowledge that "no good deed goes unpunished." In short, Cole Hamels, a pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, admitted that he threw a baseball with the express intention of hitting a batter. If you know the story, there's no point in my continuing with it; if you don't, well, there's no real point in my continuing except to say that pitchers throw at hitters "accidentally" all the time: sometimes in retribution. Nobody was surprised then, when the opposing pitcher plunked Hamels on the leg during his next at-bat. The difference? The second pitcher claimed that the ball just "got away from me. I meant to go outside, and it went inside." Of course, nobody, including both pitchers, managers, umpires, the thousands in attendance and literally everyone in the universe with any knowledge of how baseball is played "old school," believed it for a minute. That's what life has become, especially the sporting life: pretend something was an accident, and maybe you'll get away with it (until somebody rats you out a la New Orleans Saints.) For being honest, Hamels was suspended for five games. The person who "accidentally" hit him got no punishment whatsoever. However, lest you think this is merely another junket into the sporting kingdom, it's not. After careful consideration, I have determined that we actually lie a LOT in our everyday lives; even though we do not often follow such prevarications with a nudge and a wink, there is no doubt that we are straining our credibility quite often. Here is a list (in no particular order of frequency) of those lies we think we're getting away with: 1. No, that doesn't make you look fat. 2. Of course I want to go. 3. I can love the sinner but hate the sin. 4. I will reach across the aisle. 5. I love you, too. 6. It wasn't my fault. 7. I'm busy that night. 8. No, of course I'm not angry with you. 9. Nothing's the matter. 10. You don't look like you've aged a day. Well, you get my drift. I'm sure you can make up your own list of altered-states-of-truth that proliferate. You may have some that you use with regularity. If not, the political season is just heating up. Take some notes.

1 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm busy that night isn't a lie. Ever. I might be busy curling up with a good book and recharging...but I'm busy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home