Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Losing Touch On Purpose

In following along with the reading that some of my students are doing this week, I discovered research that indicated people, in general, like to have between four and six close relationships at any one time. This provides the security of being cared for in addition to positive outlets for the emotions that we generate from time to time. That's fine. I think people need people, at least occasionally (and people who need people are the luckiest people in the world). I have often said that I could survive on a desert island quite contentedly if I had books and my iPod: internet? I could do without, but music and books would be harder.
So it is that I have decided to begin "unsubscribing" to a large majority of my Facebook "friends." I don't really want to "defriend" them because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but, by the same token, I don't interact with them as a general rule anyway, so out they go. I mean, it's not like I don't have criteria. I do. This fact occurred to me last night as I was eliminating a relative. Criteria are a must.

1. If I have not responded to or messaged you in the last month, I probably will never do so. You're a goner.

2. If I find your use of language or photos demeaning, insulting or just plain in poor taste, you're history.

3. If you NEVER say anything even remotely intelligent or intuitive, I'll drop you like you're hot. I do NOT want to read about how cute your kids are ALL the time. Others might...curmudgeons don't.

4. If all you do is post video links, I will never again see them.

5. If you continually ask me to join some online game, I don't have time for it...or you.

6. If you continue to plague me with Pinterest posts, I'll post out.

7. If you go on political or religious rants more than once or twice, you've lost me (but people who do this usually aren't writing to me, anyway)

ON THE OTHER HAND...
1. If you have funny or clever things to say, keep it up (granted, it's based on MY opinion)

2. If you find something offbeat (like Tebowing or planking of recent note) that is interesting, I'll continue reading.

I realize this might come off as a bit arrogant, but there are still people with whom I like to keep in touch, and Facebook is an easy way to do so. I just don't want to be bogged down reading crap that does not in any way relate to my life.
I have only so many minutes left. I refuse to waste them on inanity.
I'll spend it reading, listening to music or writing my blog.

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But my kids ARE cute....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home