Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Soothing the Savage Breast?



Something From Blue Oyster Cult, Perhaps?

My dentist plays 80's rock every time I visit. I presume he plays it all the time. I know his assistants have heard the tunes so much that they are humming along to snatches of catchy 80's rock while jabbing me with various sharp objects. I guess trying to remember the title of the song or the performing group gives me something to think about other than the incredible nerve damage being done by "a little poke" here and there. If it makes them more comfortable, it's OK with me...after all, I can SEE what they're doing, and I can definitely FEEL if something goes wrong. The operating room staffed by surgeons is another story.
After six knee operations, an aneurysm surgery, a tonsillectomy, and a couple of colonoscopies, I feel confident in my ability to discuss the operating theater...at least to the point at which I get to about 95 in my "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" backwards counting while awaiting the heavenly unconsciousness of the anesthesia. It appears, I'm missing quite the musical show, according to a report lately published in Surgical Endoscopy. It would appear that the operating room is never the quiet, focused place I had always hoped it would be when the surgeon goes exploring my innards. Most favor music while working as a way to relax both the surgeon and the staff, boost morale (mine?), or relieve the monotony of repetitive procedures...hey, there's NOTHING ordinary about MY operation! It's not like my nose will light up and a beep will sound if the cutter gets it wrong!
At any rate, the article cites multiple studies that indicate classical music provides far more benefits than hard rock or metal music; you think? In addition to the benefits for the conscious in the room, patients have also been proven to be more relaxed during surgery (as if being unconscious wasn't relaxed enough!), they require less anesthesia, and recover more quickly! A win/win!
Of course, doctors get to choose what they listen to, but the next time I go into the surgical arena, I am specifically going to request that the doctor NOT play selections like "Don't Fear the Reaper," or "Cuts Like a Knife."
Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon" might be fun, though...until I get to the number 95.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home