Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Generativity Is Alive and, uh, Well...






CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE BEING PASSED ON TO THE NEXT GENERATION



One of the greatest fears, according to all the psychology, sociology and human development texts I've been reading this year, is that each of us will leave this rock having left nothing behind...of having lived an entire life and be remembered faintly, if at all. Of course, few of us can split an atom, find a cure for anything important or make a computer and revolutionize life as we know it. So it is that we have to savor small triumphs. I love the Mexican tradition of Dia de los Muertes,a day on which everyone gathers in the cemetery to tell stories of the ancestors...in that way, keeping them alive forever.
Some professions can leave lasting impressions, I suppose: lifesavers of any kind, teachers of all kinds...well, you know. But the greatest gift to the next generation would have to be the passing along of skills and knowledge gained through trial and error in hopes of making life just a little bit better (thanks to Herman's Hermits for that phrase). Normally, our own children choose to avoid listening to much of what we have to say, preferring to make their own mistakes; occasionally, however, a glimmer shines through the mist, and an inspiration takes hold. For me, I'm leaving behind a tradition of snow sculpture.
When our kids were little, we did something every year: the space shuttle, a fishing boat, a school bus, the 'bots from MST3K, and Indy car...on and on. Since they've grown, I mostly fool around by getting the snow off my driveway then taking the semester break to craft something for the neighbors. Last year, it was the Olympic bobsled event, and it was quite a hit. This year has already exceeded expectations, and I'm proud to say that I have left a bit of me behind.
Our new son-in-law had never even thought of building a snow sculpture before, but he is something of a Legos fanatic. The timing was perfect. My sweetie proposed a Lego theme since the four-foot drifts in our driveway could be carved out in blocks. Using the word "Legos," I convinced Robert to come over to help, and he was hooked. He spent four hours on his only day off work cutting and assembling solid blocks of snow. He was a young man possessed, and he will, no doubt, continue the tradition...at least as long as there's snow in Green Bay.
"Generativity" has meaning for me this year.
Now, if I only had something USEFUL to leave behind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home