Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

You Can Fool Some of the People...Google Smart

I've always maintained that education is a simple matter. Once a person can read and write passably, it is all a matter of calling information together when you need it. Some things are probably instinctive, like turning off the key when your Toyota Camry suddenly accelerates to 100 m.p.h. and the brakes aren't working nor is shifting into reverse. Of course, by that time, any number of bad things can (and have) happen(ed). "Stop, drop and roll" is another example of the kind of thing that should be at our fingertips...or the Pythagorean Theorem...well, maybe not. But the point is that once a person can access a way to gain information not needed immediately, it's not that hard to appear smart. Take the following examples:

The roundest knight at king Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.

He acquired his size from too much pi.

She was only a whisky maker, but he loved her still.

A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class

because it was a weapon of math disruption.

Someone sent these as well as others in an email to all her "smart" friends, asking if anyone knew what to call this type of humor. Words like "silly," "juvenile," and "unfunny" were not what she wanted. I, of course, was sent the email by mistake and recognized this fact by the inclusion of the word "smart" in the subject box. Undaunted, I turned to my vast reservoir of heretofore untapped knowledge (known as Google) and uncovered the mystery in a matter of moments. Using basic search techniques, I came up with three specifically-named types of puns: one for each of the items listed here.
Number one is a homophonic pun, one that uses a word that sounds like another word.
Number two is a homographic pun in which a word has more than one meaning
Number three is called a double sound pun in which a word (or in this case words) sounds close to but not exactly like the word (or words) it (they) are replacing.
Naturally, I was highly commended for my intricate knowledge of the English language (" I KNEW you would know!") and elevated even further into the stratosphere of the mensa-type people where I will be looking around sheepishly with the knowledge that I really do not belong there.
With leather patches on my corduroy jacket and a briar pipe in my mouth. (or is that "brier"?) I'll have to Google it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home