Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Barry Got Robbed


Well, I had ALL that snow anyway...

At this stage of my life, I'm not much of a Valentine's Day guy. Candy, flowers, making breakfast for my sweetie: heck, I do that every day of the year NOW, so there's very little else to do. I did let her sleep late and made something of a life-sized valentine in the yard, but that's not my point. My point is that Barry White needs some recognition!
Billboard just posted the top 50 love songs of all time, and Barry White was not mentioned...not once. Are they serious? if you've EVER heard him sing, the effect is better than rhino horn or shark's fin or any of those other supposed "love enablers." How can anyone NOT vote for "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe," or "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next To Me" (forgiving the grammatical error) or EVEN "You're the first, the Last, My Everything." I could go on, but you get my point. Barry White was Mr. Smooth Sexy Romantic...and yet, he gets shut out of the top 50.
I know, I know, that's the problem with lists...and it's hard to argue with Billboard...but they base everything on record sales. How many weeks did a tune spend at #1, etc. Thus it is that the top ten is really devoid of anything I would call a romantic love song.When Rod Stewart gets not one but TWO songs in the top ten, I think it's rigged. "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy"???Seriously? And who's going to get busy with "Hot Stuff" playing in the background, or "Do That To Me One More Time"?
In spite of the Whiteless character of the top 50, at least Marvin Gaye cracked the top 10, coming in at # # with "Let's Get It On." But I just can't go along with a list that has "Afternoon Delight" anywhere on it, let alone at #26.
I guess that's the problem with lists...or at least one of the top five problems.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our first dance was to "You're My First, My Last, My Everything" and I was shocked to hear the DJ say that it was the first time he'd EVER had Barry White requested at a wedding. EVER. I know WI is the land of polka but that's just crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home