Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lots of Green No Matter What

I noticed it the other day and was mildly disconcerted. Not so much so that I actually commented about it, called the "Help" desk or voiced a complaint via email to the Chancellor, but it was something I had not expected. Perhaps it was just that week off during which I forgot...or maybe another senior moment. Whatever it was, I am happy to actually discover the backstory.
The font on my email is different: radically different. The first time I began formulating a message, my mind stopped in mid-word and did a mental double-take. since there was no way to change the font on an email message, I just let it ride, showing off my adaptability to change (something older people cannot usually display). And today, the folks at NPR have explained it to me in the form of an interview with Diane Blohowiak, the person who sends me emails all the time offering me the chance to learn something new on Excel or how to use functions heretofore stagnant on my office computer.
It seems, in an attempt to save money, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has switched the default font on email from Arial to Century Gothic. While I probably could not have told you which was which at any given time since everything on my word processor is Times New Roman 12-pt. font (professors preferred 4 to 1, I'm told), it is a decidedly different look. However, aesthetics be damned, this is about saving cash.
Apparently, the new font will save approximately 30% more ink when anyone prints out an email. Since I seldom do that but do print many word documents, I guess I should start changing the font on that ,too. Anyway, Blohowiak estimates that this effort to "go green" could save the university big bucks since a gallon of printer ink costs in the neighborhood of $10,000. ( I know, that seemed like a lot to me, too).
I think the effort to "go green" by saving money is all well and good, but printer ink is one thing, and saving money by taking 3% of my salary as "furlough" savings is a whole other thing. Pretty soon, they'll make me buy a parking pass for my bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home