Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Selling Myself Cheaply



BUT I get free shirts on occasion

Times are tough, and many erstwhile full-time employees are forced to take part-timne work because they have nothing else. Had I known or even suspected this was coming, my buddy Bobby would still be looking for a job because I would not have retired. However, working part-time is better than not working at all, at least as far as money is concerned. Lucky me, I still have a life partner who continues to work, my retirement fund hasn't been completely dvastated yet, and I have a part-time job. Only now I find out that there are far more lucrative possibilities for people with my skills!
Of the ten top part-time jobs available in this economy, I am eminently qualified for at least three of them, and all seem to pay more than I make...a lot more. I could not be a tax preparer because I think math skills are involved. My computer tech skills are limited to calling my son Ryun for help, so that's out as well, and being a direct seller is definitely not for me...EBay is the best I can do. However, Rachel Goldman makes $100 per document that she works on as a copy editor, and I do that all the time. Of course, she started with colelge kids' papers (sounds very familiar)and worked up to the big money. Private tutors for school-age children get between $60 and $80 per hour, and I KNOW I don't get that. Let's see...32 hours a week at $60...as I said, math skills are not part of my repertoire, but I know that's a lot more than I make in a MONTH!
There's always substitute teaching, and these folks make approximately $100 per day in this area, and some schools include a free lunch! While eminently qualified, that's another of those jobs that I won't do unless I am desperate for money or a free lunch. I figure if that's what I wanted to do, I would have kept my full-time gig two years ago.
Still, it DOES rankle a bit to see how much people with my skill set are commanding for their talents. I have a half a mind to walk in on Monday and demand...er...suggest a raise for next fall. After the laughter died down, I would be on my way to Wal-Mart: I hear they need greeters there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home