Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It is well-known or assumed that living a long life has something to do with genetics as well as lifestyle. We can all agree with that. A recently-released longitudinal study from Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston corroborates the fact. Their recently-documented study indicated that men could live well beyond 90 years of age by following basic, common sense ideas. Controlling weight and blood pressure; avoiding diabetes and smoking and getting regular exercise have all been proven to increase the probability of living past 90.
There are a couple of things that were NOT taken into consideration, and I want to guess about their effect.

1. Level of isolation. It would seem that being social might increase one's mental health and keep him or her more active. I say...what about all the germs those folks are carrying around? Hanging around people could very easily get me infected.
And another thing...most of the frustration I've felt has had to do with people other than myself. Surely, that's got to limit my life span! Then again, I'm not sure I could go all "Walden Pond" on you and live totally devoid of the things other people generally do for me. I could build a shelter somewhere warm, but raise food? Who would supply my internet connection or cable TV? Would NetFlix still send me movies even though there would be nobody around to take them back? Then again, my overdue library bokks wouldn't be, well, overdue. No way to charge my iPod battery if nobody is making electricity...semi-isolation, maybe, but only those people I consider necessary!

2. Level of education. Would educated people live longer than the average person? Most highly-educated people have a rather narrow area of expertise. I suppose greater education translates into a higher living standard, but that won't help if I'm living in isolation.

3. Also, no mention of alcohol or sex as limiters or expanders of lifetimes. I guess I can see both sides of those two so we'll discount them.

I guess I'd better face it: nobody is going to study the things I want them to study so I'd better get out there and exercise and try to avoid all the bad things they DO study.
And why would a hoispital with the word "woman" in its name be studying life expectancy in MEN? I suspect a plot somewhere.
See you at 90!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home