Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Tired of Toeing the Line?

During a classroom conversation the other day, I mentioned that, if I could, I would give everyone (especially teens) a healthy dose of self confidence. In all the years I've spent with teens, self-esteem seems to be the one thing that is sorely lacking. We spend so much time educating them in word intelligence that we really don't consider emotional intelligence. The ability to get along with others and be empathetic marks very few of our students...maybe our adults as well. We work at artistic intelligence (band, chorus, drama, art classes), kinesthetic intelligence (physical education and all sorts of interscholastic sports), number intelligence (math and bowling averages)and so much else, but I fear we forget to work at "people" skills. Maybe we figure they come about naturally, or that kids will learn these lessons as we did: the hard way, in many cases. Mention is often made in health classes or in a psychology class, but do we really train our young people how to solve problems, say "no" and retain friends, lessen stress and promote positive feelings among everyone, including parents, teachers and friends? I suspect not.
A student mentioned today that I was not allowed to be mean, disrespectful and otherwise human. Why not? As a teacher, I'll admit I have special responsibilities, but why can't I make mistakes as well? Being under the continual microscope is one aspect of teaching which I will not miss. I'm not sure what students think at times: do they really think I'm upbeat, positive and incredibly enthusiastic ALL THE TIME? I admit to being that way at school about 98% of the time, but it gets to be wearing, and, sometimes, it's self-presentation: an act. Even at that, it's better than the alternative: crabby adults are never very much fun to be around. However, being a cheerleader is profitable only if the students catch the enthusiasm and get on board. They've already given up on Mondays as a waste: is that a learned behavior? I'm not giving up on 14% of my life.
Back on the smile wagon, everytone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home