Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

It's A Small World After All

I try to stay relatively well-informed about national and world events of importance, and to do so requires reading newspapers from a wide variety of sources. Keeping in mind that every domestic newspaper is owned by either an individual or a corporation, I realize that there is a slant to what is offered...hence, the variety. Today I expanded that variety by logging on to the Moscow Times. 
I'm not sure why I was surprised, but I was. I learned really fascinating things such as Churchill and Stalin met over drinks (LOTS of drinks) in 1942, and their relationship was much better after that!  I got to see the interesting facets of the Vienna Waltz cotillion and read about the tourist spots of Chisinau, Kolomna, and Lipetsk; needless to say, I had never herd of any of them, but they all had aspects that might recommend them to any vacationer.
Most interesting, however, was the story about the man pictured above. He is the father of Ibragim Todashev, the Chechen national who was killed by F.B.I. agents last week as part of the Boston Marathon bombing investigation. The U.S. version has the young man confessing to involvement in three drug-related murders a year ago or so as well as "knowing" the Boston suspects; Todashev ostensibly became violent during questioning at his home, grabbed a knife and attacked agents, and was subsequently killed. The father believes that his son was tortured before being shot and aims to travel to the U.S. to discover the truth.
Ironically. the family allowed the oldest of twelve children to move to the United States because it was "less dangerous than living in Chechnya."
Two very different versions. That's why I read as many sources as possible.
moscowtimes.com if you are interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home