Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Hope For the Economy

Following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, President Bush was derided for his suggestion that people go out and spend money. As Chrysler and GM are slipping beneath the waves tailfins and huge engines last into possible oblivion, Americans are once again being asked to stimulate the economy by spending money...apparently only companies which have been poorly run actually get to have the government GIVE them money to go out and spend: you and I and all the "Joe-Whatevers" are on our own.
I recently did my part by purchasing two books and two compoact discs. Yes, I know I could download the music and save the expense of the plastic, etc. but I like to give my dough to local companies whenever possible. And, I could go to the library, but one simply does NOT borrow books which will be part of his or her legacy (to be given away upon demise by children looking for money). Other than a couple of pair of shoes, this has been a sparse year for purchasing items for me. Luckily, there are more than eight million women in this country between the ages of 15 and 49 to help out.
In one of the more, uh, interesting research studies I've read lately (and I read a LOT of them), Professor Karen Pine author of the book Sheconomics and professor at the University of Hertfordshire in England has completed research that showed that women of child-bearing age (at least the 443 surveyed in England)were far more likely to go on a shopping spree within 10 days of the onset of their monthly period. (No rationale provided for the study). She and others posit that the shopping binge is a reaction to rapid fluctuations in hormone production which causes a loss of inhibitory control...hence: extravagant purchases.
In her study, two-thirds of the women questioned admitted that during the luteal phase of the monthly cycle they had bought something on impulse and generally spent at least 25 pounds MORE than they should have. (I cannot do the money exchange thing, but it's MORE than $25)
What's more, MOST of the purchases were for,as Pine puts it, "adornment" such as jewelry, makeup and high heels. Another assumption made by the researchers was that women "dress to impress during their fertile period."
As a caveat, I would say that this is a reputable (I think) researcher at an accreditied university (I think) and reported by the BBC whom I trust implicitly. While fewer than 500 people might be a rather smallsample, isn't that the way most studies work? Longitudinal studies take, well, TOO LONG.
I am personally not making any comment on this other than to report it. This sounds like an argument just waiting to happen...an argument that a guy would undoubtedly lose.
I do intend to go to the library and check out Sheconomics, though. After all, I found Freakonomics educational, and this can't be much different.
Interested in the book and its author? Here's the URL:
http://www.sheconomics.co.uk/
Discuss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home