Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tomes to Titilate

It's been a long winter around here. Punctuated by a souple of warm-weather trips to Miami and San Diego, it has almost seemed bearable at times; today, however, with the wind howling and snow swirling,my only salvation was literary. Without the latest offering from Robert B. Parker, Jr. I think I'd have simply had a meltdown necessitating a spatula to get me up off the floor. Well, there was homework, too, but that doesn't count.
So it is with books: reading so many textbooks really gives me little time for reading that I'd LIKE to do, but the occasional curl-up does wonders for me. The latest off the press from Christopher Moore (perhaps my favorite waste of time...to paraphrase Marshall Crenshaw and now, Freedy Johnston)is on the way, and I have run perilously close to finishing every book I'd put on my New Year's list, so I turned to the guide from The London Telegraph for some provocative titles, supposedly all in English.
In one recent article, the Telegraph published the finalists for the coveted Diagram Prize for the Oddest Book Title of the Year. First created in 1978 by Bruce Robertson to quell stupor at a book fair, the award is now an annual affair with the winner being selected on the basis of votes from the reading public. Past winners, all of whom were richly deserving, I suspect include the following:

Vegetarian Personality
How to Avoid Huge Ships
Highlights in the History of Concrete
Oral Sadism
.

Only six finalists are named ach year, and this year, a couple that did not make the cut included Excrement in the Late Middle Ages and All Dogs Have ADHD. Now, admit it, there are several on the above lists that you would like to at least look at, right? On to this year's finalist list:

Curbside Consultation of the Colon by Brooks D. Cash
Baboon Metaphysics by Dorothy L. Chaney
Techniques for Corrosion Monitoring by Leitai Yang
The Large Sieve and its Applications byEmmanuel Kowalski
Strip and Knit With Style by Mark Hordyszynski
The 2009-2014 World Outlook for 60-milligram Containers of Fromage Frais

Go to thebookseller.com to find out which title won this year, then rush off to the public library in your locale...but be redy to find yourself on an extensive waiting list as I did for Parker's latest.
Spring, REAL spring cannot get here fast enough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home