Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bringing Back Celebrity Death Match

It's true that I have something of a bizarre sense of humor at times. Reality television is not for me: my life is reality at its best (and worst,at times) so I don't need more of it after the kids go to bed...or before...or any time. The closest I come to reality on the tube is when I occasionally watch Rachel Maddow or that Jim guy who gives advice on picking stocks (Suze can't spell her name correctly).
However, I can watch "The Simpsons" all night,and I can watch the older episodes of "South Park" and laugh until milk runs out of my nose. The new ones are just...well, stupid, for the most part, but Cartman with an antenna implanted by aliens cracks me up every time. "Ren and Stimpy" as well as "Beavis and Butthead" were usually worth a few chuckles as well, though I was not an adoring fan like my buddy Jeff was. His impressions (usually with underwear on his head)were hilarious. But, my favorite non-reality program might have been "Celebrity Death Match," a show which pitted claymation figures of celebrities inside a wrestling ring fighting to the finish. Johnny Gomez and Nick Diamond were unparalleled as hosts of the program, and the "stars" who battled it out every week were always topical. I have enclosed the URL to the Paris Hilton vs Nicole Richie bout (watch without the kids looking on!) just for fun. Anyway, I think we have a new version ready for prime time: I give you...
The Republican Party
Don't get me wrong: I am ALL for a two or three or four-party system because it keeps everybody more or less honest. Unfortunately, the Republicans have fallen on hard times recently and have taken to eviscerating each other. This is not good in my book...there needs to be strong resistance if any governing body is going to get better. But let's just see what I mean:
Rush Limbaugh, noted talking head, seemingly appointed himself spokesperson for the GOP after the last election. Now we have a 97-year old woman, Sen. John McCain's MOTHER, bashing Limbaugh on the Jay Leno show as not being part of HER Republican party. Ouch.
Limbaugh retorted that he was certainly not part of her party: the one that "gets shellacked election after election after election." Bout #1.
Then, there are Republicans who elected Michael Steele as the National Party Chairman only to find out that he is "undisciplined, freewheeling, and shoots from the hip too much," that from political analyst David Gergen. Bout #2
Mike Huckabee who recently blasted Jeb Bush for saying that the Republican party, "...must move on from Ronald Reagan." Bout #3
Then, of course, the real hard-line conservatives who fear Mitt Romney's religious views as a Mormon and feel like he might not oppose abortion rights too strenously. Bout #4 (cage match)
The grand finale (only on Pay-Per-View) would be an all-out battle between Romney (providing he survived the earlier match) and Sarah Palin. When it was noted by Time magazine (liberal print media) that Palin was named to its list of most influential people, Romney is said to have replied "Most influential or most beautiful?" Now THAT'S a PPV throw down right there.
Actually, If Palin were to win that one, I think Maxim's top 100 would line up for the next title shot.
Anyway, I still think "Celebrity Death Match" was the best thing on MTV since "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles kicked off a new way of watching for all of us.
Enjoy the Hilton/Richie match with Johnny and Nick.
http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/celebrity_deathmatch/videos.jhtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home