Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

I'm A Wuss...and So Are You



There is little doubt about the fact that there are degrees of toughness. There is also little doubt that most of us think we're tough to some degree based on the obstacles that we've overcome. As a competitive runner, I've had my share of Mazlow's "peak experiences," run the Boston Marathon (pictured), and I've ridden a bike 100 miles in a day, raised four kids (with a LOT of help), and managed not to get fired by George Haffeman who threatened to do so at least four times in fifteen years...definitely not an easy thing for me to accomplish. I've gotten up for work at 5 a.m. and survived as a construction worker and a night janitor at McDonald's. And that's just me. I know you have also done many things which might qualify for an award as a world class tough person. But frankly, we're nothing.

I've always thought the the Tour de France was an event that tested competitors more than any other competitive event. Then there are the ultramarathoners who routinely race for 100 miles...on foot. Parents of triplets probably have an equally difficult task, but now I see we've all been, well, sissies.

I just read today an account of an event called Racing the Planet's 4Deserts, and I am truly humbled. I might as well have been using my WiiFit for the last 40 years. Inexplicable in hardship, this event, which lures hundreds every year, defies my ability to explain it to you. Follow this link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/28/AR2008082801717.html?wpisrc=newsletter

Be prepared to be humbled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home