Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I'll Love Ya, Tomorrow

That's it...it's over...the prelims are in the books. We finished staff development meetings today, and the students come tomorrow. Like a new baby or a new girlfriend or a new car, even, the new school year begins with hope, pride, enthusiasm and words like "communication" and "trust" and "...sorry, but that's all the money you get for your budget this year. Times are tough." Also ideas that confirm the notion that all other staff members have my back are upfront during this week. Whether they remain there or get shoved into the file that also contains the birth dates of the staff, our students and the phone number of my shrink remains to be seen. The enthusiasm, though, is heartening. This gives way to various stages of outrage as we see what changes the summer has brought to our class rosters for which we so carefully planned materials...how quickly we remember the old animosities. Catch phrases like "Spotters, ready?" should be followed by "Ready" responses. Then, of course, the trust fall takes place and all are reassured. I tried that today with a fellow teacher/committee member who was obviously angry, and she refused to go along. She didn't want me to support her; she wanted to be angry. Or, maybe, she just didn't like me: hard to believe, I know, but a possibility nonetheless. In spite of my best attempts at support and reframing the problem, I think she might still be upset. So we'll try to convince students that things we try in class also work in the real world although they don't for us! What was seen as group building yesterday is nonsensical today. I suspect that might be why "work" is a four-letter word!
I am, however, stoked to see the kids come in the door tomorrow: the first day of senior year or freshman year is always a red-letter day, and everybody gets new shoes. I'll have to remember mine,too. Sophomores and juniors have to find another niche as well, and everyone is looking forward to Mrs. Berg's cookies.Now, will the bare midriff look be out this year as all the fashion circulars show (it's uncertain why I would notice that), or will the trend continue in Algoma because news travels slowly there? What else will be pierced or tattooed? Sadly enough, we'll find out who got pregnant by whom over the summer. We will have at least one student recovering from a serious car crash and another on the mend from a life-threaening disease. Diversity? not likely: one or two foreign exchange students and a couple of Hispanic students will be our max...pity. We need to see more of the outside world.
The overriding question is will I find that teaching every period of every day for a whole year so exhausting that it will drive me to retire, or will I find it stimulating and want to keep going? Part 1 of 185 that make up the answer comes tomorrow. Darrell Patterson begins year 33 in teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home